Thursday, December 4, 2014

Turkey Trot 5k (2014) Recap

For the 4th time I ran the Cocoa Beach Turkey Trot 5k on Thanksgiving morning. I guess it's become a tradition. My husband usually works on Thanksgiving, so it's a great way for me to get out and be active.

This is one of those small town races that when you sign up you have to be prepared that nothing will go right. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that the race management team is so incompetent. ANYWAY........Since this race NEVER starts on time, I did not show up an hour early like I usually do. More like 45 mins. When I arrived I picked up my packet and realized it was colder than I thought. I live 5 minutes from the start of the race, so I went home and grabbed more clothes. Best decision I ever made!!

I don't know what the temperature was, but it was clearly below 70.


This isn't the original outfit I had planned on wearing, but that's ok cause warmth trumps fashion in my book.

Original Outfit!
The last time I looked at my watch it was 7:48 am (race should have started at 7:30), shortly after I looked at my watch the National Anthem was sung and we were off. Again local race so no one has race etiquette. Walkers at the very front, moms with double strollers walking at the front. I have nothing against walkers or moms walking this strollers. I do however think they should not be with the sub 6:00 minute runners. Please go to back, thank you.

My plan for this race was like it has been for the last three years. Just have fun. With the Space Coast half being on Sunday, I didn't want to hurt myself or push it too hard. I looked at my watch about three times during the entire race. Even after it was over I didn't look to see my time. I really didn't care.

Every year people in the neighborhood come out and cheer us on. My favorite house is just before the 3 mile mark. They have grown their "water station" over the years. This year they had more people than last year giving out water and of course there were beer shots!! I didn't notice if they had jell-o shots this year or not. 

I have a love hate relationship with this race. I love that it's 5 minutes from my house, but I hate the disorganization of it. I'm sure I'll be back next year.

Did you run a turkey trot?

No comments:

Post a Comment