Friday, December 5, 2014

Living on the Space Coast

One of the best parts of living in Cocoa Beach is that I get to see shuttle launches (well I got to see them) and rocket launches. Before I lived in Florida, I really didn't know much about NASA or the space program. Of course living here you really get immersed in it. On my street alone, three of the residents work(ed) at the Cape. One of the previous owners of our house worked there too.

We moved to Orlando in July, 2003. We were watching tv and the news broke in and said NASA is launching, NOW. We ran outside our apartment and watched it.  The first launch that I saw was at night. I think it was a rocket?!?!

The next year we moved to a town called Port St John. Which is just west of where they launch. From our backyard we had a great view!


This rocket is going to Pluto. Seriously the rocket in the picture is still on it's way. It launched January 19, 2006 and will arrive next year. Read about it here.


This is a picture of the Atlantis Space Shuttle. My husband was in the air at the time of the launch. It was September, 2006.


This is the Space Shuttle Discovery. Launched July 4, 2006. 

When we lived down here the first time, I was outside during every launch! I even set my alarm for 2:00am to watch a rocket get launched to Mercury. 

We moved to Indiana in October, 2006. It was sad having to watch the launches on tv. It just wasn't the same. In May, 2011 we moved back!! 


Somewhere behind the clouds is the Space Shuttle Discovery taking it's final mission.


This is the last time the Space Shuttle Atlantis launched.

Space Shuttle Discovery

Space Shuttle Endeavour
I walked down to the beach to watch both the Space Shuttle Discovery and Endeavour fly by our coast for the last time.


This is one of my favorite launches. I had a great view!


It's hard to see in this photo, but I even saw a rocket launch while I was at Disney!




Today history was made. The Orion had it's first test flight. It was cloudy I only saw it for a few seconds but, it was loud and awesome!! 

Since moving here, I've missed a handful of launches. I think two were because I fell asleep after they were delayed. I absolutely love living here!!

I can't wait to watch the Orion to continue to make history!

Have you ever seen a launch?

No comments:

Post a Comment