Thursday, December 18, 2014

Reindeer Run 5k Recap

For the forth time I ran the Cape Canaveral Reindeer 5k! It's the third race in the Holiday Series. This year I decided to dress up as a gingerbread man. Click here for the costume.


It was freezing race morning, I think it was in the low 50's. Before the start of the race I just tried to stay warm. I even had a woman offer to let me borrow her coat for a few minutes. 

When we lined up at the start line, I decided to just run. I wore sleeves and left my watch under it. If I can't see it, I have no idea how I'm running. Something I NEVER do.

It took the first mile for me to warm up and finally start sweating. Shortly after the 2 mile mark I started passing people that normally pass me. I felt good so I kept pushing on. Since I run this course on my normal training route, I knew about when we had four blocks to go. As soon as I saw that street I started picking up the pace. There was an older guy next to me and when I sped up so did he. I finally looked at him and said let's go! We both sprinted to the end. 

After I crossed the finish line I stopped my watch and realized I finished in 28:05! My PR is 27:59. Have't come close in a very long time. This race is a Space Coast Runners series race. I NEVER place in these races. To my surprise I placed 3rd in age group!! I walked away with two medals!! 


I'm sure I'll be back for a fifth time next year!!


No comments:

Post a Comment