Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Turtle Krawl 5k Recap

This year I ran the Turtle Krawl 5k for the third year in a row. I am a huge fan of the sea turtles, so this is the perfect race for me, turtles and running!

Every year they have the best bibs. The bibs are artwork by Mike "Nemo" Nemnich. If you were speedy enough to place in your age group you got the most awesome medals, until this year!!! They offered a finishers medal for anyone who paid the extra registration fee. Well this was a no brainer for me, I HAD to have that medal.

Bibs from 2012 and 2013

This year there were over 2400 finishers. 2700 signed up! I'm pretty sure that makes this Brevard County's largest race.

One of the things I really like about this race is how interactive they are with Facebook. They are always having giveaways, keeping everyone updated and if you ask a question, they answer. Wish all races were more like this. If you don't follow them on Facebook you NEED to!

Due to the size of the race and where it is located, parking can be an issue. Because I'm me and have to be early to everything I showed up an hour and half early. When I got there the sponsors were setting up their booths and quite a few runners were already there. Guess I'm not the only one who has to be early.



This year they also had an announcer. It was so nice of them to keep repeating over and over to make sure you line up according to your pace. My first year running this, walkers thought they belonged up front in the 8 minute mile pace and they got mad and started yelling at runners for going around them. This year there were no issues!! THANK YOU!!!

I lined up in the 10 minute mile pace group and started talking with the lady next to me. Turns out she's a runDisney fan too! Next thing I knew they were singing the Nation Anthem. Above us was a camera drone (I think that's what it's called.) Here's the link to the YouTube video. They filmed the start of the race!

I've run this course many many times. The first mile flew by. I felt great and kept pushing myself. I tried to keep an eye on my pace just make sure I hadn't slowed down too much. A few times I had, but I kept speeding back up to my target pace. Even with the narrow path in part of the course and the size of the race, it wasn't congested. I just love seeing the volunteers with signs and cheering us on!

I knew when I made the last turn that I wasn't going to make my sub 30 time. I thought, but don't give up just keep going and get in as quick as you can. My finish time was 30:22. It was faster than last week's 5k!



I had negative splits! Very proud of that.


Check out that medal! That medal was worth it! This is my new favorite!!

After the race was over they had so many booths and so much to do afterward. I stopped by and got OJ from the Natalie's Juice stand and then and checked out my time. I knew I had no hope of placing in my age group, but I wanted to see how I did. I was 26 out of 152 in my age group. Not bad considering this is a Space Coast Runners Series race. All the fast ladies come to run these races!

I stayed at the post race events for awhile. It was great catching up with friends! Sea World released a loggerhead turtle after the race. I didn't stay for it, but I watched the video.

This is one of my favorite local races. If they have it the same weekend next year, I may not be able to do it. I have decided to run the Bird-In-Hand Half Marathon and I think the races will overlap. If it doesn't you can be sure I'll be next year!!

Did you run the Turtle Krawl 5k?


No comments:

Post a Comment