Sunday, August 3, 2014

Longest Run in Awhile...

Since "starting over" with my running, I've been running mostly 3-4 miles at a time. I had to go back and check, since March, I've run 5 miles 4 times. Last year at this time I was running 6 miles at time for my short runs. I have to keep reminding myself that I started over and I decided to go slow and it will take time to get back to where I was. Not that I was ever speedy, but I could run long distances and not have any problems.

This is week 7 of marathon training. My long run was suppose to be 7.5 miles. Call me crazy, but I need my runs to be even, so I opted for 8 miles. All week long I knew it was on my schedule and I've been nervous. Not sure why because it's just 8 miles right?!?!

This morning while I was getting ready to run I thought do I need fuel? I haven't run this far in so long, I had no idea what I was doing or what I needed. I did get a That's It bar and cut it up into little bite sizes and grabbed an extra tin of ENERGYbits and went into the gym.


I put my Minnie Sparkle Athletic skirt on and started to run. I figured I would go slow. I ran 6.3 mph for 3 minutes and walked 4.0 for 1 minute. I felt great! I wasn't out of breath, I wasn't tired, I felt like I could run forever! Six miles in, I figured I better up the my run pace to 6.4. I still felt great no problems. My IT band started hurting just before 7 miles. It hurt, but not too bad I kept on going. I ended the last .6 without a walk break. The closer I got to 8 miles the faster I went. It was awesome!!


My final time was 1:22:44. I was not on my 2:12:30 half marathon pace, and just 23 seconds slower than my 2:15 half marathon pace. As far as my marathon pace I was 9 minutes ahead! If I can keep that up for the marathon I will have plenty of time to stop for photos :)


This run was definatly a confidence booster! I have to remember I am stronger than I think. I CAN DO THIS!! I know every run will not be perfect. There will be terrible runs in the future, but I just need to remember how I felt when I finished this run and hopefully it will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment