Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Brown Rice Tortillas

Brown Rice Tortilla
(More like what not to do)

Earlier today I wrote about how I was going to go wheat free for 21 days. I really wanted to try to make tortillas. For the last couple of months I have been making my tortillas from scratch. But of course they contain wheat. After some googling I found a recipe from Bob's Red Mill. Since I was using that brand of flour I figure why not try it.



I measured out the flour and water and started stirring. 


After it was combined it looked like this.


It was very wet and didn't feel like wheat tortillas, probably cause the texture of the flours are so different. After trying to divide it up and rolling it out it crumbled. 


I knew that the tortillas should have some fat in the recipe so I decided to add butter. I melted it be cause I had already had the dough made.


I think adding the butter was a bad idea.


Luckily I had Tapioca Flour, so I added a 1/3 cup.


The dough got much better! Felt more like pie crust.


I divided it up into equal parts. Used my tortilla press to flatten them.


They looked and felt more like a tostada shell. Next up to cook them. I had no idea how long to cook or what they should like. 





I'm really thinking that they shouldn't look like the photo above.


My husband suggested after using the tortilla press to roll it out with a rolling pin. Well it doesn't look pretty but it was better.

They don't taste the best or look the best but I have a start. Next time I think I'll make it more like a pie crust. I've even thought about adding avocado instead of butter.

Anyone have any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment