Monday, December 2, 2013

Space Coast Half Recap


Yesterday morning I woke up at 3am and got ready to run my 6th half marathon! Since we live just a half mile from one of the host hotels, I had my husband drop me off. I got there at 4:14 and that bus left at 4:15 on the dot. 

When I arrived in Cocoa Village I walked around. I did happen to walk around and see the sparkly medals before the race! Also stopped to have my picture taken with the space man. 




Since my mom was volunteering I met up with her and of course had to get a photo.




Got to the start line stretched and was waiting for blast off! When we got the "go for launch" it was still pretty dark. My first mile and a half was slower than I had planned because of the crowds. But in the end I'm glad it forced me to be a little slower because I like to run faster than I should at the beginning then really slow at the end. After the first water stop the field really thinned out. At that point I started my run/walk/run Galloway method. 

Since my training wasn't really training for this race I think I did quite well. My goal was for a 2:30 finish. Last year I ran with the pace group and it was great. But this year I was going to do the run/walk/run thing so I decided to go alone. Before the race I made two purchases which I'm so glad I did. First being the Pace Bands. Second is the Gym Boss timer. Without these two things I'm not sure how I would have done. I will continue using both items for training for the glass slipper! 

I really do love this course. The view of the Indian River is gorgeous. And I love that the people on this street get out and participate. There were a couple of houses with water stops. At one house the parents were pouring water and two little girls were handing out water. My favorite house is the one that makes breakfast in the front lawn! There's a table with a griddle and I saw pancake batter. Last year they were frying bacon and it smelled so good! Some residents just come out and cheer us on! 

Mile 5 was my fastest and mile 11 was my slowest. Looking back at my Garmin times, the splits were pretty even. I really think I'll continue the run/walk/run method. 

The first half of the race was great. The second half was cold. Since I sweated so much at the beginning my shirt was soaked. The second half we ran into a head wind and it was cold. All I could think about was crossing the finish line and getting the towel to warm up.

The best part of the race was after I crossed the finish line and started to walk up to get my medal, there was my mom waiting for me holding my beautiful sparkly medal! She put it around my neck and hugged me. Then it was off to pick up my towel and head to the beer tent!


Someday I'm going to remember to smile at the finish line. 

I ended up finishing it with a time of 2:25! Not a PR but my best 1/2 time so far this year.



Overall it was a great race! I love that this is a local race for me and I will continue running this race for as long as I can. Running Zone always puts on great races and is why I continue to run with them every weekend.

Just have to add a few more photos to this post.


My mom and I 






No comments:

Post a Comment