Saturday, November 30, 2013

Turkey Trot 5k

Every Thanksgiving for the last two years I have always run the Space Coast Art Festival Turkey Trot 5k. And since my husband worked again this year I decided to run it again this year.

Since I'm running the Space Coast Half Sunday I wasn't planning on "racing" this 5k. It was all about having fun. That and there is no way of placing here. It's the first 10 men and women to cross the finish line. 

Woke up Thanksgiving morning and it was 44 degrees. YIKES! I don't like the cold. 



But I braved the cold, put my turkey hat on and away I went. 

Before the start some guy asked me what time was I aiming for. And I guess I hadn't thought of that. I've been slow lately so I said 30ish. He said he was aiming for 32-35 so he would stay close to me. After we started and I tossed my jacket to my official race photographer (Mom), he passed me. And since I had my shirt sleeves over my hands I couldn't see my watch, I had no idea how fast I was running. I was just moving my feet. After a mile I started to warm up and realized I finished my first mile in 10 mins. So I just kept up that pace. As I got to the house with the beer and jello shot water stop, which is almost to mile 3, I thought I still have energy left I could go faster. Turned the corner and saw the guy from the start line. So proceeded to run past him and finish before him!

I may not have been aiming to finish with a good time in this race, but I still have a competitive side to me that has the need to beat someone:) 


No comments:

Post a Comment