Friday, March 3, 2017

Daytona Half Marathon Recap

Wow this recap is really taking me a long time to write up. It's almost been a month since the half and I am just writing this.

The Daytona Half Marathon is now my 2nd favorite half marathon! This was the second year I ran this race. Last year was cold, rainy and windy. This year was perfect weather!



I went up to Daytona the night before. I didn't realize that they had changed the time of the race. If I would have noticed that I probably wouldn't have stayed in a hotel. It takes just over an hour for me to get to the speedway. Anyway, I stayed across the street from the track. I literally pulled out of the parking lot and drove straight into the track.

I walked around a little bit. Took some pictures and waited to start the race.


The goal was to run. If I could finish around 2:30 great! This year my back has been giving me problems and I haven't been able to run as much.

I started with the 2:30 group and stayed with them for about a mile. I needed to take a walk break. I figured if I could stay in between the 2:30 group and the 2:45 group that would be a good goal.

Track Selfie!


Once we left the track I realized this was a new course. I really need to pay more attention to the emails and participant guide apparently.


Around mile 4, I think, we had a character stop!!



I was doing good, just running and taking walk breaks when needed. I knew that there was a bridge on this course and I was going to walk up it this year. I did not train for hills. 


Last year because the weather was bad we were unable to run on the beach. This year since the weather was great we got to run the beach!!




Everything was going well until about mile 10. I needed a porta potty and there were no porta potties anywhere. I did find two along the course, but they were by themselves not near a water stop and I am too paranoid someone will tip me over that I wimped out and kept going. I walked for the next two miles with a gentleman carrying the American Flag. He helped make the time go by. When I hit the 12 mile mark I decided to run all the way to the finish line!



This was not my best or worst half marathon time. I will be back again next year and hopefully be better trained!

No comments:

Post a Comment