Friday, April 3, 2015

Iskiate Recipe

Ok, so I was the last runner to read the book Born to Run.


It wasn't until after I met Christopher McDougall that I read his book.



I'm sure you've all read it, so I won't summarize the book. While I was reading it, he mentions that they gave him iskiate to drink. I figure if the tribe who has been running for years and years and years drinks it, I should too. If you read my blog regularly you know I can't drink Gatorade, Powerade or even Nuun. I googled the recipe. It turns out that everyone has their own recipe.  I have developed my version, by tweaking several other recipes.

My recipe:

13 grams        Chia Seeds
14-17 grams   Maple Syrup
1 Tablespoon  Fresh Squeezed Lime juice
 Fill the glass with Water

I refrigerate it for at least 20 minutes. It is still very good if left in the refrigerator overnight. I use maple syrup to sweeten the drink because I read somewhere that maple syrup was good for runners. I could be wrong, but it works as sweetener. I've also used honey. I've even tried no sweetener. It wasn't  very good.


Some recipes call to cook it. I've done it both ways and this one is the easiest for me. 

I know it looks weird. My husband thinks it looks like caviar. I drink this everyday. If I get up early to run, I drink this as soon as I get back. If I run in the afternoon I drink it before. 

Have you ever tried it?

No comments:

Post a Comment