Friday, September 12, 2014

Running Hills


I knew while I was on my trip to PA that I would need to get a long run in. Luckily it just happened to work out that all I needed was to run 5 miles. Easy right? Except for those hills it would have been. I woke up early Sunday morning had my breakfast, got ready and walked out the door. OH WHO TURNED THE HEAT OFF? REALLY? Yea it was 64 and I was cold. Total Floridian here. I stayed at my Aunt and Uncles house, they have two houses that are .2 miles from each other. I walked from "my house" to their house. I walked really fast just trying to warm up, because not only do they have hills they have trees that shade the roads. Yes I know I'm a total wimp if it's below 70 I bitch.


My Uncle had agreed to go with me during my run. He drove his golf cart. Which I was really glad he did, cause if he wasn't there I may not have gone as far. Those hills were killing me.


I knew the route we were going to take, cause I had just driven it they day before. They live on the Susquehanna River. The first 1/2 mile is a beautiful view.


Once I got moving it wasn't cold anymore. The first mile didn't have any hills! My time was 10:06, which is exactly on pace for my goal of 2:12:30 for Space Coast.


The photo above was just over a mile in and where I went from pavement to gravel roads. It's hard to see, but in the background is a creek. Also you can see my "pace golf cart!" 

Just starting out on the gravel road!
Goofing off
Running by an Amish house.


I survived mile 2. It had the most elevation increase, AND as it turned out 2.42 miles, just about half way just happened to be Christopher McDougalls house. He was up and sitting on his front porch. I stopped my Garmin and got a ride on the golf cart up his driveway. We stopped by and said hi. He was very nice and came down and took a photo with me. 


After about 5 min break we were on our way again! The best part is that it was all down hill from there right? Wrong... We were heading back home and then I'm not sure who's idea it was, I'll totally blame my Uncle for this since he's not here, sorry Michael, we went up this hill. HOLY HILLS BATMAN. About half way up I hit my puke point. 


This wasn't the top of the hill it keeps going. It hurt. Oh and coming down hills, is a lot harder than I remember. Once I got moving I couldn't stop. Ran some of my fastest times coming down those hills.

After that little detour, I was going to finish my 5 miles well before we got back to the house. So me being me said let's try another hill. I ran to the Peach Bottom Marina and ran up the parking lot. The parking lot is easier than the road. It hurt, it hurt bad.....


I was so afraid of just running down this hill that I zig zagged all the way down. After this monster I was almost done my 5 miles and part of me thought hmmmmmmm wonder if I can go one more mile. Just as fast as I thought that, the answer was NO! My Garmin buzzed to let me know that my 5 miles was done and I jumped in the golf cart and got a ride home!


I was kinda proud of my time. My normal elevation is FLAT and I thought I did pretty good!

This was from my 5 mile run

After we got back I changed into my Sparkle Athletic skirt and we went back and took more photos. My Aunt joined us, so now I had two photographers!! Not sure which was more fun, the run or the ride.




Of course the golf cart ride took us by Christopher McDougells house again and he was out on his porch enjoying his coffee that he was trying to brew the first time I interrupted. He has goats and a donkey. I wanted to get my photo with one of the goats. He again was very nice and came down and visited with us.

He's so cute!


Of course I took a shoefie with Christopher McDougall. He probably thinks I'm crazy, well I am and can admit it:)

More photos from the run.






This has to of been one of my favorite training runs. We had so much fun! Kinda wished I could fly up this weekend and run my 12 miles there. The treadmill is going to be so boring in comparison.



No comments:

Post a Comment