Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Bird-In-Hand 5k Recap

Last week I flew to Pennsylvania. I am originally from the area and still have family there. The reason I went is because my grandfather is 91 years old and isn't doing well. I hadn't see him in four years and I needed to see him at least one more time. And of course me being me, if I know theres a race I just have to sign up. The Bird-In-Hand Half Marathon was sold out, but the 5k still had open spots.

The 5k was on Friday night. I arrived Thursday and convinced my Aunt and Uncle, who I was staying with, to walk the 5k. My Uncle ran in high school, but his knee is bad and he doesn't like to run on it. We arrived to the race area early since the online registration was closed when they decided to do it, and we wanted to make sure we got them into the 5k. Even with us getting there an hour and half early, there were a lot of people there. The "expo" was a tent in the middle of a field. I picked my packet up and they had no problems registering.

At the race they had Christopher McDougall, the author of Born To Run, signing books and talking after the race. He is my Aunt and Uncle neighbor. We stopped by the booth and I met him. I wasn't thinking and should of had him sign my bib. But I did get him to sign it a couple days later when my run took me right by his house. I post about that later.


As you can see the tent behind me was the expo.


In the back ground is the finish line.


They launched hot air balloons before the start of the 5k.


I just had to wear my Sparkle Athletic Shwings. I needed to be able to fly up those hills. I am not use to hilly courses.



My Uncle decided to run with me and keep up as long as he could.


More hot air balloons before the start of the race.

The race had a pace buggy at the beginning of the race. The race started and we were off. I was very proud of my Uncle, he stayed with my for the first mile. My first mile was 9:23! The course starts out on the road up and down the hills, then you run on gravel and grass. I'll admit I wasn't expecting that. When it says you run through Amish country I wasn't expecting to run through the fields. It was great course and the locals were out cheering us on. 

I thought I did well on my time considering I don't run hills. The last mile was my slowest and most difficult. My finish time was 30:49. 


I will be back next year to run the half marathon. This races medal is one of Runner's World top medals. Now I'm just trying to decide whether I also run the Garden Spot Village Half. If you do both you get an extra award of horse poop. Yup that's what you really get. 


This race was very well put on and very organized. When I travel to new races I always get nervous since I'm so spoiled with The Running Zone. They are they best. But the organizers of this race were awesome! I can't wait until next year. I'm still trying to talk my Uncle into running the 1/2 with me. He did very well considering he hadn't run in 20 years.

 Did you run the Bird-In-Hand Half?

No comments:

Post a Comment