Monday, August 11, 2014

I Run For Pizza 5k Recap

For the 3rd year in a row I ran the I Run For Pizza "Football Kickoff" 5k. It's race two of seven in The Running Zone Foundation series. It's always a fun run, hot, but fun! I love themed races. Two out of the three years I wore the same shirt. It's cotton and it's hot. I really think I need to buy wicking football shirt for next year.
Photo Source: Running Zone

This year we started at the Viera High School. I've run a couple races here and really like the course. It has wide sidewalks and does one big loop instead of lots of turns.

I'm really out of practice when it comes to races. I was getting my stuff together the night before and I kept forgetting things. About four minutes before the start I realized I forgot to turn on my watch and iPod. I think I need to race more. Plus I forgot to pull my bangs back so be warned I had crazy hair in my photos:)


The first mile was good. We were a little congested at the beginning with so many runners. I really wished people would pay more attention to the pace signs. If you run at a 10:00 minute mile pace don't go with the 8:00 minute mile people. About 1/2 mile in the crowd thinned out.

Crazy hair!

More crazy hair!

I really didn't have any goals for this race. I was hoping to keep a 10:06 pace, which is what I'm training for, for the Space Coast Half Marathon. When it's hot I have no hopes and dreams of PRing. I just want to finish.



I only stopped to walk once during the entire race. I gave myself 12 seconds to walk, then went back to running. My time was 30:26. I  went back and checked, and my time last year was the same. Not bad considering last year I was just a few weeks from running a 1/2 marathon. I was defiantly running more per week last year than this year. Slowly I'm getting back to where I once was. 



That thing around my neck isn't just me trying to be fashionable:) My neighbor gave me two of these things a year ago and I used it for the first time.




I have no idea where you buy them or how much they cost. All I know is they really do keep you cool. Kinda wished I would have used them last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment