Monday, June 23, 2014

Week 1 Marathon Training

I can't believe week one of training is done. Before I know it, it's gonna be race day. I stuck to my plan this week, I did flip a run day with a walk day.


I copied the training plan from Jeff Galloway's website to an Excel spreadsheet. I love that Day 1 was a rest day! Day 2 I tried using the Jeff Galloway app on my phone. I won't be using it anymore. It drained my battery and my phone got so hot it was burning my arm. Plus I like to walk 1 mile for a warm up and he just has you warm up for 3 mins. It was a great motivator, but in 36 mins my battery went from 74% to 30%.

I switched Thursday and Friday this week. I was planning on running for 3 miles which at my half marathon pace would have had me run for 30:54. I was feeling so good during my run that I never took a walk break. I just kept running at 6.3 until 3 miles then I kept hitting the speed up button until 30:54.


During the week I'll be training for a half marathon and Sundays the marathon. I'm really trying to PR during the Space Coast Half Marathon. Expect to see lots of photos of my Pace Bands:)

My "long run" this week was 3 miles. I know that doesn't seem like a long run, but hey that's what the chart told me to do. My plan was to run 3 mins and 52 seconds at 6.0 then walk 1 min at 4.0. That would put me ahead of my marathon pace, but I figure once I get up to higher mileage if I need to walk more it should all even out in the end. After the first mile I felt sluggish and tired. I felt I was running too slow, but I kept up my slow pace. After 2.5 miles I ended up running at 6.2 and still walking at 4.0. I guess running too slow wears me out. Next week I'll start out at 6.2 and 4.0 and see if how I feel after a couple of miles then maybe slow down if needed.

The 5:00 marathon pace band hasn't arrived yet, so I'm using a half marathon one for now.
This weeks goal was to try new flavors of coconut water. I really like the pineapple flavored one, but I just tried orange and peach & mango. I really liked both! Yeah variety! I did try the tropical fruit and I don't like it.
Yummy!
Not so yummy.
Since this is week one I decided I needed to wear the shirt I plan on wearing during the marathon. Still not sure which Sparkle Athletic skirt I'll wear with it, so over the next several weeks I'll keep changing the skirt and see which I like best.



No comments:

Post a Comment