Sunday, May 4, 2014

Race Recap: Run Thru The Ranch 5k

May 3, I ran the Run Thru The Ranch 5k. It was my last race in the 30-34 age group. Friday it rained and rained and rained. This was a trail run which I've never run on a trail.

I woke up Saturday morning and it had stopped raining! YEA! I drove out to Port St John and headed out to the ranch. Oh did I mention I had to go mudding to get there. I picked up my packet and it turns out my bib number was 1979, the year I was born! My goal for this race was to finish and not fall. I kept picturing myself face planting in the mud.



Of course before heading to the start line I took my ENERGYbits!


We got to start line and we were given instructions. We were told the first mile was pretty much on packed sand and a road, but the second mile was bad. There were puddles, HUGE puddles. In three of the areas they had to make bridges for us. The last thing we were told was this was not a race for PR's. Again my goal was not to fall. 

The starting gun went off and we were starting. The first mile wasn't bad. I weaved back and forth to avoid muddy areas and even some puddle. I figured from all my weaving I was going to end up running well over 3 miles. My first mile was 10:07. Not bad considering I had to slow down just to make sure I didn't slip. Again no face planting happening here.

This wasn't bad to run on.
Mile 2 was the swamp. It was my slowest mile at 12:20. I did take lots of walk breaks just so I didn't fall.


Action shot. 


Mile 3 I had to take walk breaks again cause I was tired. Not use to this off road running. Mile 3 was less muddy!!


After I finished I went to check my time which was 35:53, AND I placed 1st in my age group!!! I REALLY wanted to place in this race, but wasn't sure if I could just because of the mud. I did it!!


 I won't be signing up for a tough mudder anytime soon. As I don't like running in mud. However I'm so glad I did it and I did enjoy it.


Did you run this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment