Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Space Coast Lightfest 5k recap

For the second time I ran the Space Coast Lightfest 5k! Two years ago when I ran this race I wore my red Sparkle Athletic skirt for the first time. I also PR'd! It was also the first time I had ever placed in my age group. A race of many firsts!

From 2012

This year I knew I wouldn't be able to come close to my PR time. And I didn't think I'd be able to place in my age group. My strategy going into this race was to just run and look at the lights.


 Before the race started we noticed that there were a lot of kids at the front of the start line. Thank goodness one of the race officials made them go a little bit farther back. My friend and I started at the front with the other elite runners. Yes we know we can't run 6 minute miles, BUT we all know how kids run and then just stop or fall or get in our way.




When the race started I tried to keep up with those elite runners. OUCH! I looked down at my watch and realized I was running a 7:36 min mile. I had to slow down quickly because there's no way I could hold that pace for 3.1 miles. Now was the time to just enjoy the lights as I run.



My first mile was faster than I thought. It was 9:14 mile! Since it was dark I wasn't hardly paying any attention to my watch, I was just running and looking at the lights.


All of sudden I realized I was at the end of the race. When I made the final turn I sprinted to the finish! FINALLY sub 30 5k!!! Ended up with a time of 29:06. AND I GOT FIRST IN MY AGE GROUP!!!

Santa gave me my medal!!

More lights!!


This race is like my lucky charm. I missed last year, but I am NOT missing next year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment