Thursday, October 23, 2014

Fall Into Winter 5k

Last Saturday was the Fall Into Winter 5k in Cocoa Beach. It's race 1 of 3 in the holiday beach series. This will be the 2nd time I've run this race.

Going into this race I wasn't expecting much. I wasn't feeling the best when I woke up. Plus this wasn't a Running Zone event and the timing company that they use is the one I don't like.

When I arrived at the race, I was dressed up as Snow White. This is a Halloween race and there is a costume contest. I was shocked by the looks I was getting from other runners. Apparently they weren't as cool as me.

Sunrise!

I walked down to the water to see how bad the run was going to be. Of course it wasn't low tide during the race. Luckily the tide was going out.


The start line was interesting. There of course weren't starting mats and of course no one lined up according to pace. At one point the water came in which sent everyone up the beach. Again I really wasn't expecting much since I knew it was going to be gun time not chip time. The start gun went off and so were we. At the beginning I was just trying to get out of the crowd and just run. I looked at my Garmin a few times, but with no goal, I just ran.

First mile was good. No issues no pain! Around 1.6 miles in I got winded and could hardly breathe. I felt like I gasping for air. I ended up taking one walk break during the entire race. I never did catch my breath. Usually at the end of a race I sprint. Not this one. Our beach has a small hill and the finish line was up on the "hill" in the loose sand. I can't run in loose sand. I did my best and finished with a time of 31:29. Not my best, not my worst.


I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to see our times after the race. The first year I ran this, they didn't print the times. We had to wait until the awards ceremony to find out if you placed or not. I'm not even sure if they posted time online anywhere. Luckily this year they posted times. Turns out I placed first in my age group. Crazy because I never thought I had a chance. All the fast runners showed up.

During the awards ceremony I found out I placed 2nd in the costume contest! Bonus!!


I'll admit this wasn't as bad as I thought it could have been. If the holiday series medal changes next year I may do it again. Next up in this series is the Turkey Trot. Time to break out the turkey hat!!


Yes this is the 3rd time I've worn this costume. 


No comments:

Post a Comment