Sunday, July 6, 2014

Firecracker 5k Race Recap

For the last three years, every 4th of July morning, I get up early and go run the Firecracker 5k. It's the first race in the Running Zone Foundation Series. And every year it's a hot one, but what I do expect in July in Florida a cold snap?!

Flat Runner Megan

This year, just like every year, I didn't have a time goal, just wanted to finish. During the Summer, I move all of my training runs to the treadmill because of the heat, so when I do run in these summer races all I ever want is to cross the finish line.

Usually when I have early morning races, I get up have a cup of coffee and eat a banana and one or two hard boiled eggs. I decided to change my breakfast. I had the usual  banana and coffee, but right before I left I took 30 ENERGYbits and 30 RECOVERYbits. I also made myself a smoothie to go. It was just blueberries, pineapple and yogurt. Before the start of the race I took 30 more ENERGYbits. It was kind of nice not to have to force myself to eat eggs before a race. Sometimes I'm not hungry first thing and drinking the smoothie was easier.



I got to the start line and the National Anthem was sung and we were off. The one thing I've learned about running this course is we bottle neck just after the start of the race. Everyone starts out fast and then stops. This year wasn't as bad; I was able to stay to the right and keep moving. For the first mile I didn't want to go too fast and burn out. I kept a steady pace and the first mile I ran in 10:04.

The second mile time was 9:48. I felt really good after mile two and figured I would try and speed up just a little bit for the last mile. The third was 9:42. Considering I don't run outside in the humidity, I felt really good about my times! My finish time was 31:32.


I finished 35th in my age group. This is a very competitive series and I usually end up finishing in the middle of my age group. The next race in the series is August 9th!

Did you run a 4th of July race?

No comments:

Post a Comment